LESLEY TOMLINSON – CANADIAN OLYMPIAN (MOUNTAIN BIKE)
I was born in England where I lived until I was 10 years old. I’m a Canadian now but still have dual citizenship. I always stayed a bit British I guess, drinking Tea a lot and use a few odd words.We landed in Vancouver, BC, Canada. A place I still think is one of the most beautiful spots in the World.
I graduated from Simon Fraser University, Burnaby, BC in 1983 with a degree in Business and Economics and a minor in Kinesiology. Over the next 12 years I pursued my marketing career. Previously only a horsie person… I got swept up in other sports for the first time. First came distance running, which later (thankfully) transitioned to cycling. My business career of 12 years eventually landed me in a “corporate” or “real life” position, before becoming a professional cyclist, was with a chain of 63 Restaurants (Earls) in Marketing.
As a runner, I won Victoria International Marathon in 1982 finished regularly on the podium at National road running events, with 2 Provincial titles in 20 km road and 6 All-American titles in Track and Cross Country in the N.A.I.A. Conference at University.
During my career, I was personal coach to a group of young development athletes under 20 yrs old who aspired to elite level cycling careers. Amongst those athletes, there were 3 kids who I lead successfully from introduction to the bike in Sprockids, through to securing National Titles and positions representing Canada at the World Championships. One of my riders, Micayla Gatto, has had great success and still competes for the World Cup Podium. Even more exciting is she coaches for us at TaG.
I spent a 5 year stint as a Director on the Canadian Cycling Association Board, something worthwhile for any high performance athlete to experience. The back rooms of sport are very interesting to say the least.
I left serious competition in 2007. In 2010, a group of women I had known in school asked for help learning how to ride their bikes properly.
That was really the start of TaG Cycling.Shortly after I partnered with another Canadian Olympian, Gina Grain who brings skill from the track to our teaching. Gina has some of the fastest legs in the World, no joke! The following year, my Pro MTB Racing team mate, Chrissy de Vall joined us to form this awesome group. We are having a great time sharing our experiences and passion for the sport.
I still spend some time each year as a colour commentating Host for the Canadian National TV Networks. I had my second stint commentating the Games in London 2012 and am hoping to have the opportunity to commentate in Rio at the 2016 Olympics. Fingers crossed on getting that front row seat for the Games!
Highlights from Lesley’s career:
- 2004 & 2002 24Hr Solo World Champion MTB
- 2003 & 2002 Trans Alp Challenge Champion
- 2000/1996 Canadian Olympic Team MTB
- 1999 PanAmerican Championships Silver Medalist MTB
- 1994 Commonwealth Games Silver Medalist Road
- 1998 UCI World XC MTB – Ranked 3rd
- 1997 XTerra Off Road Triathlon World Championships 2nd
- 2001 XTerra Off Road Triathlon World Championships 5th
- 23 World Cup MTB Top 10 Finishes
- 5 World Cup MTB Podiums
- Represented Canada at 13 World Championships Road and MTB
- 13 US National MTB Podiums
- 1997 World Cup MTB Overall 6th
- 1997 US National MTB Series Overall 2nd
- 2 Canadian National Championship Titles Road
- 7 Canadian National Silver Medals Road and MTB
Lesley’s television and webcast assignments:
CBC Television Analyst Commentary
- 2010 Mountain Bike World Championships 3 hr live show XC
- 2010 Mountain Bike World Championships 1 hr show DH and 4X
- 2009 Mountain Bike World Championships XC, DH and BX Colour Commentary 1x 1 hour show
- 2009 Mountain Bike World Cup Racing XC, DH and BX Colour Commentary 3x 1 hour shows
- 2004 Olympic Games Mountain Bike 2x 2 Hr Live Shows
- 2004/2005 Madrid, Willingen and Calgary World Cup Shows
- 2002 World Championships XC Commentary 2x 1 hour shows
- 2003 World Championships XC Commentary 1x 1 hour show
Webcast Whistler Crankworx
- 2010 Whistler Crankworx 4x 2 hr live Webcast Shows
Live Announcing and Interviews
- 2010 Whistler Crankworx 5 Days
Eurovision Highlights Analyst Commentary
- 2005 English Highlights Package – XC, DH, 4X and Trials
Outdoor Life Network (USA) Expert Commentary
- 2001 Sea Otter Classic Mountain Bike Race – 4x 1 hour shows
- 1999 Mercury Tour Mountain Bike Race interviews
Outdoor Life Network (USA) Celebrity Equipment Testing
- 2001 Gear Guide 1 ½ hour show
Model for National Ralph Lauren RLX AD Campaigns 1998,1999,2000,2001
- Runners World, Triathlete, Shape, Outside, Sports Illustrated, Mountain Bike Magazine, Mountain Bike Action, Bicycling, Women’s Sport & Fitness, RLX spring and Fall Catalogues, RLX In-Store Point of Sale Materials